A friend of mine just started a recipe link-up and I’m quite excited to join her endeavor! In honor of the new liturgical season, I’m posting the recipe from our meal last night.
Hearty Vegetable Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: ~45 minutes
Servings: 8-10 (depends on your favorite bowl size)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (I prefer refined)
- 4 large carrots, peeled & chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- medium onion, diced
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth (store bought works too)
- 2-4 cups water (depends on your taste)
- 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- oregano, garlic powder, salt & pepper (to taste)
- Chop carrots, celery and onions. Heat coconut oil in a large soup pot. Saute carrots, celery and onion in coconut oil until soft or onions turn translucent (about 5-10 minutes).
- Add broth, water and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Add zucchini and spices, let simmer on low at least 20 minutes.
- Serve alone or with a thick slice of bread (I hear beer bread is a delicious option!)
Verdict: Last night I was short on time, so I let the veggies saute and simmer for less time and we ended up with crunchier veggies. Ryan really liked it, but I prefer my soup veggies to be more cooked. You can let the soup simmer longer according to your preference. You can also add extra veggies for variety. Kale is especially good (make sure to simmer for about 10 minutes).
Check out more recipes at Hannah’s blog!